Use the isochrones?
Display one (or more) isochrone(s) on the map
Calculate and display an "Isochrone" on the map, i.e. calculate and display the curve that links up the points accessible in a given travel time from a starting point using a selected mode of transport.
Example: On the map, draw the isochrones that can be accessed by car in 10, 20 and 30 minutes from the Place d’Armes in Namur (BE).
- Click on "Select a point" and click on the map to position the starting point. Then, define the travel time, the mode of transport and the colour.
- Clicking on "Draw the isochrone" launches the calculation and the isochrone will be displayed on the map.
- Select new parameters for the other isochrones.
For your own information: Codata Explorer uses the service "Grahhopper Isochrone" to get these curves and to display them on the cartographic interface. This service calculates the travel time based on OpenStreetMap’s road network and on free-flowing traffic conditions.
To know the commercial offer present in an isochrone
an isochrone can be used as a search criterion to find within its perimeter:
- present Retailers,
- absents Retailers.
To illustrate this feature, let's take the example of a search for commercial locations located 15 minutes by car from the Eurallile shopping centre and active in the « children's wear » sector
- First step: Draw an isochron.
- Connect to the Maps module of Codata Explorer.
- Select the "Isochrone" tool in the right menu.
- Click on "Select a point" and click on a choosen point on the map (main entrance to the Euralille shopping centre).
- Set the travel time, means of transport and colour (15 minutes by car, in red).
- Click on "Draw the isochrone". You will start the calculation and the isochrone will be displayed on the map.
Isochrone connecting the points accessible in 15 minutes by car from the entrance of the Euralille shopping centre in Lille (FR)
- Step two: Select the isochrone by clicking on it. A window opens.
- Step three: Select the search for Locations (located in the isochrone).
- Step four : Automatically, the coordinates of the isochrone are entered in the "places" criterion of the search Locations.
- Step five: Identify and target commercial locations occupied by Retailers active in the "children's wear" sector.
- Step Six: This is the list of locations within the defined isochrone.
- You will then be able to:
- visualize locations on a map (see map below),
- download the list in PDF or XLS format,
- visualize the Locations and Retailers index cards,
- save your search criteria.